Thursday, August 7, 2008

Review: Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

I finished Unaccustomed Earth and had to quickly return it to the library before the fines went through the roof. Prior to reading this, I wondered if Ms. Lahiri would be able to return to the themes used in her previous books of immigrants, expatriates and first generation Americans and keep them fresh and interesting. The mystery is over. Unaccustomed Earth continues to explore nuances of the familiar themes and, as usual, I was captivated. I think that in Unaccustomed Earth, Jhumpa Lahiri manages to expand on the themes done so brilliantly in the Pulitzer Prize winning, Interpreter of Maladies. I was again transported into the world of those who do not quite fit in. I raced through this book, partially because I couldn't stand to stop reading in the middle of any of the stories. I needed to know how the tiny domestic details would build into the whole of the story. I look forward to purchasing and reading this again, more carefully this time, in order to savour the beautiful prose. Highly recommended.

No comments: